Monday, June 15, 2015

Journey through

In what direction do we travel? Do you have a compass? A map? A guide? Wouldn't it be great to have a GPS to direct us in time or distance through life? It would indicate the next challenge, time the next accomplishment, determine our destination. It would be nice to know the next employment opportunity, the upcoming encounter or relationship, if there are any detours to avoid the pitfalls of personal or professional dramas. Wouldn't it be great to be advised on which route is the best within our time constraints and when it is time to rest or refuel? Wow! A GPS for all our doubts, insecurities, worries and concerns; something truly reliable for every situation! But is that true?

How many times has your vehicle GPS failed you?? Even a satellite driven GPS will still not be able to anticipate everything!!! Calculating things to the minuet detail sometimes sets us up for disappointment or failure. It's not realistic to expect perfection from such an imperfect race. We always seem to mess things up somehow. But it's not what you do, but how you handle it, that shows your true character.

I love the phrase, 'Follow the road less traveled.' It never made sense to me growing up. I was raised in the country and would go wandering through the woods for hours upon hours. The first thing you learn, even as a child, is stick with what you know or you're going to get lost. I always wanted to return home, so I had no plans on getting lost-I stuck to the paths. But being a bold-headed child, I grew into that phrase more than I knew. It isn't until you become a pre-teen/teenager with direct intention of making a statement and a stand, even on things irrelevant, that you seem to distinctly recognize the things you are stirring up and the new paths you are creating. You take pride in the fact that others notice you and that they may be interested in following you somehow and so, your path is recognized as valuable and important. You did that, you made that happen, you made a statement that became worthwhile! You're not a kid anymore. Worlds have broadened, perspectives enlightened. Our journey has begun...

Now as adults, what philosophy do we follow: 'Do what you're supposed to' or 'Follow the road less traveled.' What's easier? What will be more acceptable? What are the consequences we face? What are the risks involved? What's plan B? Is the gain worth the loss? How can it be measured? How will I be judged? Is it aligned with my goal? How will it help or hurt me or the people around me? What if I fail? What if I succeed? What will I do next? Can I really handle the end result either way?

Ultimately, regardless of the questions asked, the answer given or the decision made,
Will you choose to be Happy?




No comments:

Post a Comment